Did you know that September is National Breakfast Month, as well as National Biscuit Month? Celebrate both occasions by making a delicious breakfast of biscuits and sausage gravy on the grill. Here are the recipes and tips to turn an ordinary breakfast into something amazing! The best part is that the entire meal can be made on your TEC Grill.
First off, you need to master the technique of making homemade southern style buttermilk biscuits. The key here is to work with cold ingredients, that is, keep your butter and buttermilk cold. You also need to be gentle with the dough, or else the biscuits will be tough. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into cubes
- 1/2-3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat grill over medium-low heat.
- Stir together sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl to combine.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or two knives, until the butter is in pea size chunks and the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add 1/2 cup buttermilk to the flour mixture, and stir to combine. Add additional buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture just comes together but still looks shaggy.
- Pour out dough onto work surface, and gently knead a few times until dough comes together.
- Roll out dough on work surface to about 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out biscuits of desired shape and size, and place on a piece of foil close together.
- Bake biscuits on top rack of grill for about 10-15 minutes, or until light golden brown. Flip over about halfway through cooking in order to ensure biscuits cook all the way through.
Next, you need a really good gravy to smother the biscuits. Traditionally in the South, a white gravy with bits of sausage in the gravy is the norm. A good smooth gravy needs practice, here’s your step-by-step recipe:
- 2-3 sausage patties
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- About 1 cup chicken stock
- Splash of heavy cream
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- Place the sausage patties on the hot grill. Grill on both sides until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a shallow sauté pan on the grill. Add the butter to the pan.
- When the butter is melted, sprinkle the flour over the butter. Stir constantly to incorporate the flour into the butter. Continue cooking and stirring until the flour smells nutty, about 5 minutes.
- Begin adding the chicken stock to the pan, a little at a time, whisking constantly to smooth out any lumps. Continue adding stock until desired consistency is reached.
- Add a splash of heavy cream to the gravy, and season with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
To serve, the sausage can either be crumbled and added to the gravy, or sandwiched between the biscuit layers. Either way, pour the gravy over the biscuit and serve hot.